Friday, July 1, 2011

VHP and Slutwalk

Anyway, for the morning readfeed I was reading this. (VHP issues warning to women joining New Delhi SlutWalk)
I remember an article that Sudish Kamath and Shonali Muthalaly wrote for The Hindu when I was in college. This was against the implementation of dress code in Anna University. (The original article should be somewhere on this site, but I will leave you to search it out :D ) I used to simply love both of their columns and I think I have read articles simply because I spotted their names on top. But, where was I? Ya. Women, liberation, Slutwalk.

Well there was this article on 'He says, She says' about why it makes absolutely no sense to control what people wear and use it as a justification to sexual harassment. That's my point. whether or not I support Slutwalk, I think that clothing is an individual's freedom. And if VHP thinks "India will not tolerate anything that crosses the limits of our culture." then 1) their idea of India is narrow. 2) they are calling themselves India. Oh, but that's the same as 1.

So yes, whether or not I personally like Slutwalk or bitchwalk or whatever else it is, there is nothing to say it is against my culture and I won't let it happen and India will not accept it. If India can accept lame duck PMs and corrupt PMs and hordes of scams, India can accept this as well. Besides, that is beside the point.

2 comments:

  1. A Few years ago I remember VHP had asked women not to wear revealing clothes/jeans in temples. The press and everyone had gone against it.
    If you remember the south indian temples not a single one allows women even in churidars. I think its perfectly valid point. No one objects that. Dare going into padhmanabha swamy temple in a churidar or jeans!!!

    I think women/girls can always dress well in a way they will look beautiful. Anyone who wear revealing clothes does not do it for the extra wind to cool their bodies.

    India has a culture. Remember that. US has a culture which is 500 years old. Ours is 5000 years old. Now, No where is it said what clothes women must wear. But if you are wearing lesser clothes, please be ready to be called as sluts. Because that is your intention in first place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well. What we choose to call as culture and from which point we choose to start considering it is quite debatable. Indian culture is 5000 years old alright. But if you try to find out what women wore 5000 years ago, and if you really believe that is what women should do today as well, then you should ideally be supporting SlutWalk.
    But that is beside the point. Point is a woman has the freedom to wear anything she wants. You also have the freedom to "call" her anything you like, including 'slut'. The problem only arises when you try to behave as if she is a "slut". If you would stop with calling her that and not harass her, there would be no need for SlutWalk.

    ReplyDelete